Joshua Bell: At Home With Friends



The concept of At Home With Friends was inspired by Joshua Bell’s long-time practice of holding "musical soirees" at his New York residence, eclectic gatherings of musicians, actors, comics, literary figures and others who convene for the sheer joy of sharing their art in an informal setting. With this in mind, Bell has spent the past four years designing and building his home in Manhattan to accommodate the ideal "stay-at-home" venue.

On this recording, friends performing with Joshua Bell include Chris Botti, Sting, Carel Kraayenhof, Josh Groban, Edgar Meyer, Frankie Moreno, Nathan Gunn, Regina Spektor, Chris Thile, Anoushka Shankar, Marvin Hamlisch and even Sergei Rachmaninov by way of Zenph Re-performance technology.

The covers that Bell selected for At Home With Friends are as varied as its performers, beginning with a tender rendition of “I Loves You Porgy.” The sweet strings of Bell’s violin blend beautifully with the lonely jazz of Botti’s trumpet on the Porgy and Bess ballad.

Sting lends his voice to the sixteenth century love song “Come Again,” a version of which appeared on Sting’s The Journey & The Labyrinth. I preferred the simpler lute rendition on Sting’s album, but Bell’s arrangement is also very pretty.

Josh Groban’s voice makes a good companion for Bell’s violin in the theme from “Cinema Paradiso.” However, it’s my Cuban boys Tiempo Libre who steal the show with “Para Ti.” The song alternates between peppy brass coupled with rhythmic Latin percussion and soft orchestral interludes.


Bell states. "Some of my most precious memories of childhood recall the ‘family musicales’ in my home; my sisters, my parents, my cousins all playing music together and for each other during the holidays. Since then I went on to have many thrilling experiences in concert halls, but I still enjoy the experience of making music with my friends and family in a small, intimate setting. There’s nothing like sitting on a pillow by the piano surrounded by passionate artists, not quite sure who’s going to get up next to perform. It’s my hope that this recording figuratively transports listeners into the room with us." -Joshua Bell


Joshua’s website:

Facebook:

Joshua’s Widget:

No comments:

Post a Comment